If you're hiring extra workers for the busy holiday season, it's important to get a few things straight first so you're not left with any costly surprises in the New Year.
Employee or contractor?
You need to determine if your workers are employees or contractors to make sure you meet your tax and super obligations. Don't rely on what other businesses are doing to work it out.
The fact is both employees and contractors can be hired for:
- casual, temporary, on call and infrequent work
- busy periods
- short-term jobs, specific tasks and projects.
Hiring working holiday makers?
If your workers are here on a working holiday visa (subclass 417 or 462) you'll need to:
- register with us as an employer of working holiday makers first, then
- tax them at 15% from the first dollar earned, regardless of their residency status.
- Download the Tax file number declaration form
Find out about
Hiring people over the holiday season? | ATO, Australian Government